Dental Facial Orthopaedics
What is Dental Facial Orthopedics?
Dental facial orthopedics, also known as orthodontic facial orthopedics, is a specialized branch of dentistry that focuses on the alignment and growth of the jaw and facial bones. This field aims to address not only dental irregularities but also skeletal discrepancies that can impact facial aesthetics and overall oral health.
The Importance of Dental Facial Orthopedics
The alignment of the jaw and facial bones plays a crucial role in facial harmony and function. When there are discrepancies in the growth and development of these structures, it can lead to various issues, including:
- Malocclusions: Malocclusions, or improper bites, can result from jaw misalignment, leading to difficulties in chewing, speaking, and potential damage to teeth.
- Facial Asymmetry: Skeletal imbalances can cause facial asymmetry, where one side of the face appears different from the other, affecting appearance and confidence.
- Sleep Apnea and Breathing Problems: Jaw irregularities may contribute to sleep apnea and other breathing problems, affecting overall health and quality of life.
Dental Facial Orthopedic Treatment
Dental facial orthopedic treatment involves the use of appliances and techniques to guide the growth and alignment of the facial bones and jaws. These treatments are often initiated during a child’s growth phase when the facial bones are still developing, but they can also be effective in adults.
Common Dental Facial Orthopedic Treatments Include:
- Palatal Expanders: Palatal expanders are used to widen the upper jaw, creating more space for teeth to come in properly and improving breathing function.
- Mandibular Advancement Devices: These devices help bring the lower jaw forward, addressing issues related to the lower jaw position, such as sleep apnea and breathing problems.
- Headgear: Headgear is used to influence the growth of the facial bones and jaw in growing children to correct skeletal imbalances.
- Facemasks: Facemasks are used to correct underbites by gently pulling the upper jaw forward in children with developing skeletal issues.
Benefits of Dental Facial Orthopedics
- Enhanced Facial Aesthetics: Dental facial orthopedics can improve facial balance and symmetry, enhancing the overall appearance.
- Improved Bite Function: Correcting skeletal discrepancies can lead to better bite alignment and improved chewing and speaking abilities.
- Better Breathing and Sleep Quality: Addressing jaw and facial bone alignment can help alleviate breathing problems and sleep-related disorders.
At Lavington, our skilled dental facial orthopedic specialists are dedicated to providing expert care for patients of all ages. We understand the unique challenges that facial skeletal irregularities can present and strive to achieve optimal facial harmony and oral health through personalized treatment plans.
Schedule Your Consultation Today!
If you or your child have concerns about facial balance, jaw alignment, or dental irregularities, contact us to schedule a consultation with our dental facial orthopedic specialists. Let us help you achieve a harmonious and confident smile that complements your facial features and improves overall oral health.