What are Dental Fillings?
Dental fillings are a common restorative dental procedure used to repair teeth damaged by decay or cavities. When tooth decay occurs, it creates small holes or openings in the tooth’s structure, compromising its integrity and potentially causing pain or sensitivity. Dental fillings aim to restore the tooth’s shape, function, and strength while preventing further decay.
Benefits of Dental Fillings
Restores tooth functionality: Fillings help to restore the chewing and biting function of a decayed or damaged tooth.
Prevents further decay: By sealing off the cavity, dental fillings prevent bacteria from re-entering the tooth and causing more extensive damage.
Aesthetically pleasing: Tooth-colored fillings (composite and ceramic) offer a natural appearance, making them virtually unnoticeable.
Preserves tooth structure: Fillings require less removal of healthy tooth structure compared to more extensive treatments like crowns or root canals.
What to Expect During Your Dental Filling Procedure:
- Examination: Our dentist will examine your teeth and take X-rays to determine the extent of the decay and the appropriate type of filling for your needs.
- Anesthesia: Before starting the procedure, we will ensure your comfort by administering local anesthesia to numb the area.
- Decay Removal: The decayed portion of the tooth will be removed using precise dental instruments.
- Filling Placement: The chosen filling material will be carefully placed and shaped to restore the natural form and function of your tooth.
- Finishing Touches: Once the filling is in place, our dentist will polish it for a smooth and natural-looking finish.
Types of Dental Fillings:
- Amalgam Fillings: Amalgam fillings, also known as silver fillings, have been used for decades. They consist of a mixture of metals, including silver, tin, copper, and mercury. Amalgam fillings are durable, cost-effective, and relatively easy to apply. However, their dark color can make them noticeable, especially on front teeth.
- Composite Fillings: Composite fillings are a popular alternative to amalgam fillings due to their tooth-colored appearance. They are made of a blend of plastic and fine glass particles, which provide a natural look that blends with the surrounding teeth. Composite fillings offer good durability and are suitable for both front and back teeth.
- Ceramic Fillings: Ceramic or porcelain fillings are tooth-colored restorations made of a material that closely resembles natural tooth enamel. These fillings are custom-made in a dental laboratory and are highly aesthetic, making them an excellent choice for visible areas of the mouth. They are also resistant to staining.
- Glass Ionomer Fillings: Glass ionomer fillings are made of acrylic and a specific type of glass material. They are commonly used for children or in areas of the mouth with minimal chewing pressure since they are not as durable as other types of fillings. One advantage of glass ionomer fillings is that they release fluoride, which can help prevent further decay.
- Gold Fillings: Gold fillings, also called inlays or onlays, are composed of a gold alloy. They are highly durable and well-tolerated by gum tissues. However, the cost and their appearance (a gold color) make them less popular than other filling options.
Why Choose Us for Dental Fillings?
- Expert Dentists: Our clinic is home to a team of experienced dentists who are well-versed in the latest dental techniques and technologies. They will carefully assess your dental needs and recommend the most suitable filling material for your specific case.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities: We understand the importance of staying up-to-date with the latest advancements in dental technology. Our clinic is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and modern equipment, ensuring that your dental fillings are done with precision and accuracy.
- Comprehensive Dental Care: Apart from dental fillings, we offer a wide range of dental services, including routine check-ups, teeth cleaning, dental crowns, root canal therapy, and more. Our goal is to provide comprehensive dental care to meet all your oral health needs under one roof.
- Comfortable and Relaxing Environment: We strive to create a comfortable and relaxing environment for all our patients. Our friendly staff will ensure that you feel at ease during your dental filling procedure.
Maintaining Your Dental Fillings:
Proper oral hygiene is essential to prolong the life of your dental fillings. Regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups will help prevent new cavities from forming and keep your smile healthy and beautiful.
Visit Lavington Dental Clinic to get your Dental Fillings today!